Tuesday 5 July 2011

A Fresh Photo Opportunity (Say Cheese, or bananas, or apples or sausages…)

Having not had photographs done of my two children for well over a year, I thought it was about time I made the effort and organised something.  For most people, I suppose, it’s easy to organise but for me it’s a monumental feat!  The fear of my naughty 2 year old mostly has put me off.  I’ve got 2 very little ones, and yes they can be extremely cute, and yes, like any Mum I think they’re the sweetest, most beautiful, gorgeous kids that were ever put on earth but they can also be hard work as you Mums (and Dads) out there know.  With 18 months difference between both of my little monsters, you sometimes dread these sorts of occasions!  My eldest, Max, is good as gold, from the word go, he (mostly) did what he was told to do, but my youngest, a daughter, Millie, is a terror certainly for a lot of the time!  Since she hit 2 going on 22 (last week) the tantrums have well and truly set in and she most definitely does NOT do what she’s told so you need real patience.  Something I’m lacking these days!

Bearing all this in mind (or not bearing this in mind at all, in fact, I just ignored all of the above), I set about finding a photographer that was both reputable and local.  Lucky for me the Fresh Families Studio is in Watford, about 5 or 6 miles away and it ticked all of the boxes.  I have seen their studios advertised in various local newspapers, in magazines, online and also through others who I know have visited the studios to have a shoot and have been over the moon with the results.  I also “found” them on Facebook and now “follow” them on Twitter (it’s the done thing these days!) so I can keep up with all of their news and it also means I know about their promotional offers which is always a bonus.

Just a little bit of digression, I booked the appointment with absolute ease.  The lady on the phone was helpful and patient trying to fit us in on a date and time that suited me, and then I was sent an email confirmation with ample useful information about the shoot.  I even received a reminder email and a great checklist of what Fresh Families suggest to bring with on the day.  So far, I’m impressed!

On the day of the appointment, I packed 3 outfit changes (I actually only used two but it’s good to get an opinion when you’re there, more is less so to speak!), I also packed those all important hair accessories for my daughter – a must have if their hair gets in the way!  I packed shoes too, to go with different outfits but I didn’t need them as they were barefoot for the duration.  Oh, as a suggestion – pack drinks and some bribery, diamonds work for me, chocolate works for my children.  I also explained as best I could to a 2 and 3 year old that they were going to have some fantastic and fun photographs taken of them.  As far as they were concerned, they were in the car and about to go on an adventure, it could have been Disneyland for all they understood, but they were very excited nonetheless by a different journey than the usual nursery, grandparents, park and friends!  Note:  I gave my 2 year old an hour nap before hand.  If I was to do this again at her age, I think I’d let her sleep longer she was tired and grumpy, I was therefore, concerned.

We arrived in plenty of time and both kids were looking as good as I could make them look, considering my daughter won’t sit still for a second.  Having rung the buzzer I was quickly greeted by a young and friendly lady called Hollie who was good with the children too and we were shown through to the awesome studio!

The door opened to a plush purple coloured entrance with a flight of richly carpeted stairs to the right and a corridor leading to a modern and comfortable reception area, with photographs adorning the walls (as you would expect) and an inviting seating area.  The receptionist was efficient yet friendly and we were dealt with immediately, something I feel paramount when you have two impatient children desperate to explore a new environment.

I cannot stress how pleased I was to find out that the man himself, Charlie Kaufman, was to take the children’s photographs.  Charlie is the brains behind the Fresh Group, which includes Fresh Academy and Fresh Families and he has over 20 years of outstanding experience…bluntly he absolutely knows what he’s doing and I had no doubt in my mind that the results would be excellent.  My only doubt was how the children would behave; they say never work with animals or children.

I have to say Charlie is totally professional yet great fun and exceptionally patient.  From the minute he saw the kids he was divine with them.  He had my son, Max laughing within seconds and even got my stroppy madam daughter Millie giggling.  I remember thinking to myself how important it is that the photographer has a rapport with kids.  If you understand kids then that must be half the battle.  I relaxed!

A few moments later we were whisked into a huge studio. This isn’t any old studio.  It’s a state of the art professional photography studio!  No little back room with a white backdrop for us, no Siree!  We had the choice of three different sets (and believe me there were loads more to choose from) and there were tons of props from chairs, tables, tree like things, wallpapered backdrops, bar stools, a disco floor (!), funky benches…even chains, but we didn’t use those, although I was tempted to wrap my daughter in them at one point.


The first part of the shoot involved both kids sitting on an oval shaped seat together with a white backdrop.  Sounds easy right?  Well, getting the both of them to sit together, hold hands at the right moment…perhaps cuddle each other…hmm, not so easy.  How do you keep kids still on these shoots?  Charlie had all the answers!  Silly noises?  Check, funny props?  Check, say bananas?  Check! Tickle Stick? Check! Peek-a-boo?  Charlie will play that game if you need him to!  Nothing was too difficult for him and the kids had a ball.


Mums out there with the terrible 2’s take note.  My daughter had a meltdown on the disco floor, and not a meltdown of the dancing kind!  Millie performed a full blown refusal to join in the photo shoot.  Charlie said move forward, she went backwards, sit still, she ran forward…whatever was required of her wasn’t what she wanted to do.  In professional style, Charlie just concentrated on Max until Millie was ready to participate again, after a pocket sized bag of chocolate buttons that Mum had brought with (Very Important Tactic!)

The last set was my favourite, a great big sumptuous and fluffy, soft and inviting bed which my children just loved bouncing up and down on.  This put them in a really jolly mood so there were plenty of natural smiley shots to be had.  Charlie managed some great moody shots too, of my 3 year old boy, hands in pockets, furrowed brow….and obviously when my son was the centre of attention, my daughter had to have a piece of the action. Never one to miss an opportunity Charlie would maximise the potential and snap away!

Once the shoot was complete, the debris of my children cleared up and everything back in order.  Coats on, drinks and biscuits in mouths it was time to enter the viewing room…now, it’s my advice that you have someone else with you whose opinion you value and trust.  I only had my own and I am not a good decision maker.  The viewing room is a comfortable, plush seating area with a huge cinema screen where I was able to view the fruits of Charlie’s (extreme) labour.  There, in glorious technicolour, were my children in dozens and dozens of amazing photographs.  Both my children and I were mesmerised at the shots on the screen – my kids thinking they actually were on TV, and me because the shots were just terrific.  Every one capturing a twinkle here, a tiny glint there, a sweet smile, a raucous laugh, a glance in another direction resulting in a natural shot…you name it, it was done and even days later I am still unsure I have selected the best of the shots taken – put it this way, if money was no object, I would have bought the lot!  Anyway, I am absolutely thrilled with what I’ve got and I will most definitely be going back next year for another photo shoot, I couldn’t fault any part of the experience, it was second to none.

All in all a fantastic hour and a half absolutely filled with fun and real top quality results (despite the odd tantrum or two, from my kids, not me).  Max and Millie had a blast, Mum was delighted and the photographs speak for themselves.  There is one hitch though, one complaint I’ve got with the whole Fresh Families experience that I have to warn you about and that’s how hard it is choosing the best pictures because in my opinion (the doting and proud Mummy), they’re all completely and utterly FABULOUS!

To book your shoot contact Fresh Families www.freshfamilies.com
Unit F
Penfold Trading Estate
Imperial Way
Watford
Herts
WD24 4YY

Tel : 01923 212 673
Email : 
info@freshfamilies.com



No comments:

Post a Comment