Thursday 4 August 2011

Fresh From The Make-Up Room - The Tips of The Trade

We’re always so busy at the Fresh Academy making over hundreds of girls a month and helping them look and feel like superstars. We thought we’d let you into some of our make-up secrets as we also get asked time and time again how our make-up artists achieve such brilliant looks. This one is for all you gorgeous girls out there who wonder how the professionals achieve flawless looks, from sultry to sun-kissed, Punk to pretty, our expert make-up artist Lauren Jacobs took some time out of her busy Fresh Academy schedule to answer all of your questions about her talent and give all of you some words of make-up wisdom! 

1                   What is the most requested “look” at the Fresh Academy?

I get all sorts of requests but let’s be honest everyone wants to look like their idol! On the whole I’d have to go with the smokey eye!


2                   Can you briefly describe how to achieve this look?

Although it would seem out of the ordinary to do so, I would start with working on the eyes first before foundation.  Using darker colours can drip and smudge; this way if it doesn’t turn out as neat as you planned you can wipe the excess away and do a nice clean foundation base after.

Also, don’t think a smokey eye just has to be black and heavy, it can be in all sorts of colours and depths!

3                   What’s your favourite make up brand to use?

I have many brands in my kit but at the moment I tend to favour MAC. It covers all skin types and ethnicities and everyone knows the brand. 

4                   How do you keep make up on all day?

Ahh the secret everyone wants to know! I think no make up artist no matter how good they are can make make up last all day without having to do some kind of touch up, but certain tips can help it last longer.

·         Make sure your face is well moisturised
·         Use a primer on top of your moisturiser and underneath your foundation. Try NARS or Laura Mercier
·         Eye primer.  Try MAC Paint pot
·         Cream blusher and powder blush over the top, I suggest you
try Stila Convertible Colour
·         Set your foundation with a light coverage powder, I recommend MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural


5                   Any insider tips of the trade?

Probably given most of them away.  But the other one I can think of is ‘less is more!!’

6                   How long does it take you to make someone’s face up for a photo shoot?

It depends on the type of shoot but in the studio we have an hour for hair and make up.

7                   What make up do you wear every day?

I tend to keep my make up everyday very natural.  Either a tinted moisturiser or no foundation at all if I feel lazy. I like to keep it easy with a cream blush, concealer and mascara. Simple!

8                   How do you get fiddly false lashes stuck on easily?

This is a fiddly one to do on your own!!  Try tilting you head back and looking down in to your mirror to stretch your top lid and give you a clear view of your lash line.

9                   How long did you study to become a make up artist?

I trained for 4 years.  Doing 2 courses back to back.

10              Which celebrity do you think has the best look?

This is quite hard.  But I do love Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Lopez and Beyonce.

11              What made you want to be a make up artist?

I love being hands on and creative and always as a kid would do my friends’ hair and make up. So it seemed the right direction!

12              If you could only use one item of make up what would it be?

Eeek! If I had no choice it would have to be my……….eerrrr…..blusher I think! I’m so fair I need a bit of colour.

13              What are the top three make-up pieces you should never be without?

Concealer, blusher, mascara, I think the 3 main basics of any make up kit.

14              Any tips for a quick fix if you have no time and are running out of the door?

·         Use concealer for under the eyes and any blemishes.
·         Cream blush ( use a bit of lipstick (pink/soft red/peach) if you don’t have)
·         Set with powder
·         A nice coat of mascara

 And hey presto!

No comments:

Post a Comment